Painting a fence - instructions and information on colors and prices
- Materials and tools
- Colors and prices
- Delete fence: Instructions
The wooden fence is one of the classics in the garden and comes in many shapes, colors and finishes. Every year you have to paint the fence so that it shines in new splendor and the wood does not suffer too much from the weather and persists for a long time. It depends mainly on the selection of color.
What could be better than a wooden garden fence with its grain that perfectly complements the green oasis "> Materials and tools
Before you can paint the fence, you must first have the necessary utensils at hand to make the work much easier. For the painting you need:
- Pressure washer or brush and soapy water
- wire brush
- Painters film
- Grit paper or grinder with a grain size of 80 or 120
- sturdy cloth
- Brush or paint roller
- Hand Brush
When choosing the sandpaper, it is important not to use too fine, as the wood is only roughened and not really sanded off. As a matter of fact, the paint is low in cost, but extremely long and tall fences can put a strain on the wallet. This is mainly due to the color, as this causes the highest costs, in addition to the primer. The colors are explained in more detail below. You should not give up the respirator because the wood colors often contain toxic fumes and thus could harm your health, as well as the gloves. If you have scratches or similar on the hands, the paint can hurt a lot.
Tip: if your back is very sensitive or you are a bit older, it is worth preparing a seat while you paint the fence. For example, a small stool or, if you wish it more effectively, a wheeled seat that allows you to drive from lath to lath will be enough.
Colors and prices
Paint the fence is the color probably the most important material. It must have certain properties, so that the wood is protected from the weather and can be decorated decoratively. For this reason, you should definitely forego classic color coatings at the beginning. Lacquer is not really weather-resistant on wood and starts to scroll quickly, because a wooden fence is constantly exposed to the weather. Therefore, you should choose special colors that are suitable for outdoor use and can be applied to the wood. This includes:
1. Thin-film glazes: thin-layer glazes are the classic paint for the wooden fence if the natural grain is to be preserved. Thanks to their rapid penetration into the wood, the pores are not closed and the wood can continue to breathe effectively. But the color effect is not so intense because the existing wood tone is supported. Glazes are offered in shades of brown in most cases.
Prices per liter: 9 Euro - 18 Euro per liter (strongly depending on quality, products without solvent usually more expensive)
2. Wood preservatives: Wood preservatives are similar in color to paints and in all possible colors, from pure white to light blue to fresh green. They leave less air to the wood and provide a semi-closed surface, but do not peel off. Due to their properties, it is necessary to use a wood primer for outdoor use, otherwise the paint will not hold or resins may penetrate through the paint. The color protects the wooden fence against external influences and the weather.
Prices per liter: 16 euros - 45 euros per liter
3. Wood preservative oil : Wood preservative oil is a special oil that protects the wood in a similar way to thin-layer glaze, but works only in natural shades. Some manufacturers offer even more intense tones, but the grain is highlighted particularly strong. In comparison, they are usually more expensive, as they are produced on a natural oil basis and so do not harm you and nature.
Prices per liter: about 30 euros per liter
4. Linseed oil and paint: also a natural color that has been used to impregnate wood for centuries and is currently available in various earth tones, more rarely in colors such as white, blue or other tones. Linseed oil has a built-in UV protection and effectively acts as protection against the weather and can be used easily.
Prices per liter: about 50 euros per liter
When choosing the color you should always pay attention to whether they contain solvents and, if possible, to do without them. You will see appropriate color on the Blue Angel environmental label, which confirms that the product used is an environmentally friendly color. When priming you should use only wood primer for outdoor use. The prices for one liter amount to about 7 to 10 euros. On average, one liter of paint suffices for about 15 square meters. Use the following formula to calculate the color requirement:
Length of the fence in mx height of the fence in m = area
If your fence is 20 m long and 2 m high, multiply these two values together and you have an area of 40 m². In other words, you will need about 2.6 liters of paint for one coat, which will cost from around 23 euros to 130 euros (depending on the product you choose). A second coat again requires the same amount.
Tip: As an alternative to the above colors, you can also use wood preservative gel, which is well suited for outdoor use due to its properties. It is available in a variety of natural colors, but the opacity in direct comparison often leaves something to be desired.
The preparation is important before you can paint the fence. This prepares the wood and provides a suitable background for the color. The preparation should be carried out at least one week before so that the wood can dry before painting. Proceed as follows:
- remove moss and plant remains from the fence
- use either the high-pressure cleaner or the soapy water
- for old paint residues use the wire brush
- Do not worry, the wood will not harm under this treatment
- let the fence dry
- Now cover with the painter's tarpaulin areas in the garden, which should not get any color, such as paths
- These fix you best with weights, for example, stones
- Now the primer follows
- Choose a day without rain, but also without direct sunlight
- it should be at least 10 ° C outdoors
- apply the primer evenly with the brush or paint roller from top to bottom
- Do not use too much primer, just a covering layer
- Now the wood is sanded
- For this you pick up the sandpaper or your device
- rough the surface a bit
- It must not be completely sanded, otherwise the paint will not last
- if you use wood preservative paint, you must sand off the remaining paint completely, prime and roughen
- for the other colors, this process is only omitted if the same kind of color is present on the wood as is to be applied
- sweep for the fence after sanding
- now can be deleted
Delete fence: Instructions
Now you can finally delete the fence. Preparing for the job usually involves the greatest amount of work in terms of the different steps that need to be taken. For the painting requires the most time, since you must paint very carefully and thoroughly, so that the paint is applied evenly and in sufficient quantity. When painting the fence, proceed as follows:
Step 1: Choose a warm day of at least 10 ° C, as with the primer. If this is not possible, heat the container for a short period on the radiator.
Step 2: Open the container and mix the paint thoroughly. Watch out for lumps!
Step 3: Now either choose a brush or the paint roller and start applying the paint from top to bottom.
Step 4: You can take your time here, as lightly dried paint can easily be painted over. Please note that the oil colors penetrate the wood faster than the glazes and wood preservatives. However, that does not mean that they can be touched immediately.
5th step: Do the same with the rest of the fence.
Step 6: On average, colors are dried after 4 to 6 hours and can even be painted over. Depending on the weather, however, it may be that the fence is dry only after 48 hours. Carefully check it with a cotton swab in an invisible area.
Step 7: After the fence has dried, dispose of solvent-containing containers according to the manufacturer's instructions and clean up your garden. Repeat this procedure every three to six years, depending on weather conditions.